01 09 10

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Finished Tote Bag for Me

I liked the tote bag that I made for the Guild Shop, so I made one for me.
I cut two pieces of light denim, 12 1/2" x 22", two pieces of dark denim, 6 1/2" x 22" and two straps of dark denim, 6" x 27".  I cut two pieces of batting, 27" x 1 1/2" to go in the straps. Straps were folded to the middle and then over, so they finished 1 1/2" wide and 27" long.  I applied Pellon 808 to the four bag pieces.  The fabric lining was cut 18 1/2" x 22". Sewed the lining on three sides, leaving one 22" side open and a 6" opening in the bottom for turning. I boxed the bottom corners of both bag and lining.  The bag and lining pockets are Pellon 808 between two pieces of fabric.  I sewed the pockets right sides together on three sides, leaving the bottom open.  I turned them right side out and sewed the bottom on with 1/4" seam and then flipped pocket up into position and stitched on both sides, leaving the top open.  I sewed straps to the top of the bag with a 1/8" seam.  Placed lining and bag right sides together with straps tucked down and between the two.  Stitched all around the top of the bag with a 1/2" seam and turned bag through the lining hole.  Push lining down inside the bag and top stitch around the top of the bag with a 1/4" seam to keep lining in place. The 6" hole in the lining can be closed by hand or machine.
(Hints:  Sew pockets on before constructing bag and leave a turning hole in the lining.)  I made both of these mistakes on the first bag. lol




Love this roomy bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment