01 09 10

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Eclectic Mail Part 1

I have decided to name my quilt, "Eclectic Mail".  I mulled over a few other names, but decided on that one.

The pattern that I am using is from a video at "Missouri Star Quilt" website.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8safSWU3DSk&list=PLD5EF21A981F69C28&feature=share&index=15

In the video, she uses two layer cakes and charm packs for the border.  I had purchased yardage of  fabric, so I had to cut my own 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips.

 I cut thirty - 10" squares from "Eclectic Elements" and thirty - 10" squares of background fabric.  I placed one of each, right sides together and sewed all four sides at 1/4".   I found that chain sewing one side, and then the opposite side, worked best.  Then chaining one end and then the other.  When I tried sewing all four sides of one square, without stopping, I would end up with extra fabric on the last side.  Sewing opposite sides first, seemed to fix this problem.   Then I sliced each square from point to point, making four half square triangles.


Four HSTs form one open envelope.
 
 

 
I could not wait to see how the keyboard border would look, so I had to sew four of the 2 1/2" strips together.  I think that I should cut the others in half, before sewing, to make for a better mix in the end.  The background strips in the picture will go on before the keyboard border.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment